About Lakeshore Players
In 2013-14, we will present seven productions (see shows). But that’s not all! Lakeshore's programming includes
On the first Sunday of most productions, we offer a pay-what-you-can performance. Everyone is invited to stay after the show that day for a post-show artistic discussion with the director and creative team.
Goals & Accomplishments
In addition, we commissioned new works for our annual 10-Minute Play Festival, corporate training, and for other events. We produced and performed original works at off-site venues including an annual murder-mystery fundraising event at the White Bear Lake Armory, an original trial reenactment production at St. Paul’s Landmark Center, and diversity training skits for the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Our theatre serves as the premier performing arts center for the East Metro suburban communities. We are committed to providing opportunities for our community to participate in and experience live theater and are proud to be one of the oldest continuously operating theaters in Minnesota.
Community / Population Served
LPT’s artists, participants, volunteers, dedicated staff, board of directors, and attendees all form a creative community of theater arts enthusiasts. About half are drawn from a 10-mile radius, with the other half coming from across the greater Twin Cities area. The socio-economic range covers those with limited-incomes, reflected in those attending “pay-what-you-can” performances, to more affluent attendees who support LPT through financial contributions.
LPT receives strong community support through earned income, financial contributions, and in-kind donations. About 70% of earned income is through ticket sales and arts education tuition. The remaining 30% is contributed and in-kind support. For example, Shoreview Community Foundation both gave direct financial support in support of our summer youth arts education programs, which enabled us to offer reduced tuition for ten students who otherwise would not have been able to participate. The Masonic Lodge, White Bear Lake Area Schools, and City Hall allow LPT free space in their facilities for off-site rehearsal and classes. Accounting services are provided in-kind from R.W. Ramsay.
Volunteers gave a total of 25,973 hours of their time and skills—from sewing, scenic and tech work, to performing on stage. Attendees show their support through financial gifts, donations of costumes, props and set pieces, and through repeated ticket purchases—many have been attending with friends for decades.
Our database, updated daily, contains 9,165 households of ticket buyers with an average of two per household— a total of 18,330 individuals including attendees, actors, behind-the-scenes volunteers, students, and others interested in LPT programs. Our volunteers, artists, participants, staff, board of directors, and attendees all form a creative community of theater arts enthusiasts.
Lakeshore Players Today
Each production showcases the talents of different guest artistic directors, music directors, choreographers, costumers, and stage managers, offering a variety of artistic approaches to engage our audiences and providing more opportunities for theatre professionals to work in their field.
Lakeshore’s 14-member volunteer board of directors is a working board, meeting monthly to govern and guide every production.
Lakeshore Players partners with other organizations to bring our programs to other venues. Recent partners include COLLAGE, St. Paul's Landmark Center, Century College, and White Bear Lake Area Schools.
Lakeshore Players provides opportunities for community members to participate in the theatrical arts—from wide-eyed beginners, to experienced theatrical professionals. Professional guest artist directors, music directors, and choreographers share their skills and techniques gained through training and experience with volunteer actors drawn from the community. Each season, we see people who participated in youth programs return as adults to volunteer as actors and ushers, and to help with sets, props and costuming. Some have gone on to work as actors, directors, and stage managers at professional theaters. Many Lakeshore acting class students confidently go on to audition for a chance to perform in Lakeshore’s main stage productions.
Board of Directors
Financial Information & Donor Policies
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a Minnesota State Arts Board Operating Support grant, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.
Get a Virtual Back Stage Tour!
2014 Lakeshore Players Theatre • 4820 Stewart Ave • White Bear Lake, MN 55110 • Box Office: 651-429-5674